exploring feminism and Buddhism for personal and social transformation
Allies for Social Change is an annual 10 day course for women that focuses on bringing a Buddhist feminist framework to cultivating inner peace while engaging in social action in our communities and the world.
What is covered in the course?
* An introduction to engaged Buddhist teachings
* Buddhist feminist analysis of structural violence, power, privilege and social action
* Understanding the intersections of engaged Buddhism and feminism and how each supports the other
* Building peace within through daily mindfulness practices
* Daily meditation and mindfulness practices
Who is the course open to?
We welcome women of all ages, cultures, religions, and sexual preferences to join us for the course. We are seeking women who are engaged in social change or are interested in doing so. The course requires participants to be open to sharing, learning, and challenging themselves in a safe and supportive environment. Courses are limited to 20 participants.
What are the intended benefits to women who participate?
* Building a supportive community of women from diverse cultures and regions who have a common commitment to social change.
* A forum for women from the Global South and North to interact with one another with mutual respect and understanding.
* Time and space for personal growth and reflection in a supportive environment
* Increased knowledge and skills in social change work
* Exposure to local and international women’s and peace activism
* Time and support to build peace within through daily meditation and mindfulness practice
* Simple living in a rural Thai village, healthy, organic food, and peaceful surroundings.
Dates, location and fees:
Our next course will be held in 2011. Please check back for exact dates and fees.